Crunchola Granola Recipe (Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Paleo & Vegan Friendly)
Cereal…something that even in my youth, I have never loved. If you offered me a choice between an omelette and a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, the omelette would win every time, without fail. But granola, now that’s a different story! I remember waking up to the smell of my Mom’s freshly baked granola. Once my nose alerted my brain that the heavenly honey and almond doused air floating through my nostrils meant home made granola, my sleep-deprived, teenage body had a renewed purpose to quit pressing snooze and hop out of bed.
I miss that. A LOT.
I suppose it’s memories like this one that had Dorothy Gale clicking her heals together saying “there’s no place like home”. So even though I’m no longer a teenager or living at home with my parents, I chose to channel this memory and this feeling through the recipe below sans the processed grains and insulin disrupting table sugars.
And, since it’s just made from nuts, seeds and coconut flakes…
it’s gluten-free, grain-free, paleo and vegan friendly!
And, it’s a delicious, cheap, healthy breakfast to feed to your visitors!
I tested this recipe out with all of the guests that came to visit me for the holidays and they loved it. They didn’t even notice that it was only a tad bit sweet or that it was missing oats. In fact, I distinctly remember sending both the recipe and a fresh bag home with them (and they were flying back to Colombia!).
And, it’s a delicious, cheap, healthy gift to give!
Because I care about my own health and I coach my clients to better health (and weightloss and moving more and moving more naturally…and a lot of other things), I intrinsically care about the health of my family and friends.
So I can’t just go to the grocery story and buy one of those festively packaged baskets of pretty boxed foods filled with crappy ingredients, because my body is physically repulsed by it and my (somewhat questionable) morals (just kidding, I’m a good person!) won’t even let me think about it. Instead, I made a huge batch of THIS, packaged it up in some cute $1.99 containers I found at Michael’s, and gifted those to family and friends.
Not only was my conscience clear, but I had so many requests for the recipe that I figured it was about time to share it with everyone here.
- 2 C Raw almonds or mixed nuts of your choice (sprouted is best...buy them here or make them yourself here)
- 1/2 C Sesame or sunflower or pumpkin seeds (or mix of your choice)
- 1/4 C Chia seeds
- 1 C Coconut chips
- 1 TBSP Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 2 TBSP Coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 TBSP Coconut oil
- 3 TBSP Honey or coconut nectar
- 1 Egg white
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Dump all of the DRY ingredients onto a large baking sheet or pan and mix them together.
- Add the coconut oil to the center of the mix (it's probably solid so we just want to melt it), and put it in the oven for 2 minutes.
- Take the pan back out of the oven and mix the coconut oil into the dry ingredients really well.
- Add in the rest of the WET ingredients and mix together really well (and I mean really work it!).
- Put the entire mix into the oven for 17 minutes (stir occasionally).
- To make a vegan version of this recipe, just exclude the egg white and use the coconut nectar. It bakes up perfectly fine and granola-like without it. It will just fewer large clumped-together-chunks, but it's equally #tastebudfriendly