“Sloth Propeller” Recipe – Naturally Sweet Bulletproof Style Coffee
Aaaah coffee! It is to me the smell of a very good Saturday morning (because I pretty much only drink coffee on Saturdays or sometimes Sundays).
I grew up drinking it (because, of course it’s a staple in any Colombian household!) and had my first taste when I was still a wee thing. My dad has always liked it strong topped off with a little whole milk. But me, I like it cafe con leche style: thick, creamy and sweet. But alas, that is not a health promoting option 🙁 Unless…
Unless you do it my way! Enter “Sloth Propeller”…
Really, I can’t take all the credit for this recipe because it belongs to Dave Asprey’s Bulletproof Coffee recipe, which I’m sure you’ve heard about by now (and if you haven’t, what rock have you been hiding under?!). For the right person, this recipe’s got health benefits for miles, which you can read about here.
However, his recipe misses a beat with me in that it’s not sweet! Not even a tad bit. So, I “double-double-toiled-and-troubled”, added in my SECRET natural sweetener + a few other goodies (listed in the recipe below), and dubbed my version the “Sloth Propeller”.
Also, his version has caffeine and it just messes me up. Whether it’s from coffee, tea or chocolate (yes, dark chocolate, as antioxidant and healthy fat promoting as it might be is high in caffeine) caffeine makes me a little bit insano-bananas, which could be from mycotoxins (toxins produced by mold and found in low-quality coffee) and/or caffeine, but my money’s on the caffeine, since clearly I consume high quality food like it’s my job (and…it kinda is!).
So, aside from that I honestly think the ol’ Sloth Propeller spin on Bulletproof Coffee is tastier, there’s MORE. This concoction can potentially impact your cognitive function, reduce inflammation, help control your blood sugar, prevent cravings and keep you satiated for up to 6 hours (according to Asprey…it holds me over for about 4).
- Doesn’t contain mycotoxins (which fog your brain and cause whole body inflammation)
- Gives antioxidants
MCT OIL (medium chain triglycerides – derived from coconut)
- A healthy fat that’s converted into energy quickly to fuel your brain and provide a mental boost
- Is satiating, promotes weight loss, and prevents food cravings
- Before you go and have a heart attack (sooo much pun intended!) read here and here to understand why GRASS-FED BUTTER has many health promoting benefits (let’s just say it’s certainly not the “cholesterol-upping”, “artery clogging” culprit Ansel Keys led us to believe it was in his infamously cherry-picked Seven Countries Study)
- It’s got vitamins and minerals you probably need more of (Vitamin A, Vitamin K2, Vitamin E, Omega-3’s, CLA’s (Conjugated Linoleic Acid), Beta-carotene)
- This is what gives both Bulletproof Coffee and Sloth Propeller their thick, creaminess without the lactose and casein filled dose of milk or heavy-cream (it’s also important for froth-building purposes!)
- Read everything you need to know about it in the Jackpot Jell-O post (and see which brands I use and like…as with most things, not all are created equal)
- This is also an ingredient unique to Sloth Propeller giving it a nice dose of protein
- THIS IS THE SECRET INGREDIENT THAT MAKES SLOTH PROPELLER SWEET!
- Helps balance and regulate your blood sugar
- Has internal cleansing, immune enhancing, circulatory purifying and promoting properties
- Has oral health benefits
*Not to mention that ALL of the the optional spices listed in the recipe have tons of health promoting benefits.
BEFORE YOU GO TELLING EVERYONE HOW HEALTHY COFFEE IS, YOU SHOULD KNOW…
ARE YOU A “SLOW” OR “FAST” CAFFEINE METABOLIZER?
IS BULLETPROOF STYLE COFFEE THE ENERGY “BE-ALL-END-ALL”?
Hell no! You should be able to produce energy without a boost from caffeine or MCT oil, and if you can’t, then let’s work towards healing your adrenals (let’s set up a session and get you better!). BUT, for the right person, it’s got tons of health benefits and it’s a damn good alternative to my former cup of cafe con leche and most options you’ll find at your local coffee shop…unless you live in Austin, TX and you’re lucky enough to get to frequent Picnik Austin! Sigh…one day.
- 8oz Coffee (I love this decaf Swiss Water Process one by Allegro from Whole Foods) OR any of the coffee alternative below (see notes section)
- 1-2 tbs grass-fed butter or ghee
- 1 Tbs MCT or coconut oil
- 3-4 drops cinnamon bark oil
- 1-2 Tbs collagen or collagen hydrolysate (click and scroll to the bottom)
- OPTIONAL SPICES -
- Brew your coffee or your tea (I use 2 tbs of coffee when I brew it).
- Add your coffee or tea to a blender along with all of the other ingredients (check out the optional spices and sprinkle in any or all...none is ok too).
- Blend. You have to blend it. This is just not as enjoyable unless you do. Especially if you're a latte-kinda-persona who appreciates a good inch or so of froth!
- Okie. Now that we got that out of the way, go ahead and sip away!
- MY FAVORITE COMBO -
- To me, the tastiest version of this is born from this combination: Swiss Water Press decaf, grass-fed butter, MCT oil, cinnamon bark oil, collagen hydrolysate and a dash of cardamom and tumeric.
- 2 SUGAR (& STEVIA FREE) SWEETENER ALTERNATIVES -
- -soaking a cinnamon stick 12-24 hours (overnight is usually sweet enough for me)
- -->use the cinnamon water to brew coffee or coffee alt (or if you use the coconut milk option, just mix this in with the coconut milk and cacao)
- -Yogi Tea's Egyptian Licorice
- -->let this steep with your coffee or coffee alternative (if you use a machine, make your coffee first, then let this steep in there for about 5 minutes)
- SUBSTITUTIONS -
- If you don't drink coffee, it's not a big deal. I only drink it 1-2 times per week and it's ALWAYS decaf (caffeine messes me up somethin' awful). All of these make delicious tasty substitutions to this recipe. Just remember to blend!
- Kukicha Tea
- Black Tea
- Matcha Green Tea
- Coconut Milk + Raw Cacao Powder (1 Tbs is usually good)